None of us ever plan to find ourselves in a mess. We don’t dream of the day that we will get divorced, wreck our car, or get fired from our job. We dream of the good things that we can do in our life like getting married, going off to college and being successful in life. But sometimes we don’t realize how important right now is in order for us to get to those points in our lives. We fail to realize how the decisions we make right now will effect our lives tomorrow, in 6 months, 1 year, 5 years, 20 years, etc… And then not just in our lives but also of our friends and family all around us. Paul says it this way, “Don’t be fooled by those who say such things, for “bad company corrupts good character.”-1 Corinthians 15:33.
But on the flip side, the good decisions we make today have the same effect on those we know also. So if we choose to make the right decisions today rather than finding ourselves in a mess, we will find ourselves in the center of the will of God.
Seemingly small decisions today, like who we befriend or allow to influence us can have big consequences in our future!
- Who in your life influences you the most and in what ways?
- Who in your life tend to be like the people in Isaiah that say “get off the narrow path?” (Basically- join us in sin).
- In what areas of your life do you need to come back to the Lord so that he can show you love and compassion? (Or- how are you struggling right now to do what’s right?)
- Will your friends be a help or hindrance when it comes to returning to the Lord?
- Do you hear God’s voice behind you telling you where to go or what to do? If not, why do you think that is?
Even little decisions can affect us in big ways. Bad friends can quickly pull us off the narrow path while godly ones will promptly remind us to turn back to the Lord when we start to stray. Start this school year off considering who you will allow to influence you and the steps that will require this week.