In what areas did God reveal a struggle with pride or false humility in your life this week? What are you changing in that area?
- What is lust? A passionate or overmastering desire or craving
- What are some ways people struggle with lust? Sexual/physical lust, lust for pleasure (drinking, drugs, adrenaline, etc), lust for power, lust for companionship/relationship, laziness, etc.
- How does lust in your life hide your light or put at risk of being snuffed out by God? (James 1:14-15)
- Some of the struggles we’ve discussed in this series are easily apparent to others in your life (such as pride, anger, etc). Is this the case with lust? Often the struggle with lust is private/secret… very internal… a battle that begins in the mind but has very physical results
- People will readily admit they struggle with lying, jealousy, overexaggeration, anger, etc. Why do you think it is more difficult to admit a struggle with lust?
- What are some ways you personally struggle or have struggled in the past with lust? (Leaders- if the struggle is referred to as past, don’t be afraid to ask hard questions about where the struggle is now)
- How does or has your struggle with lust led to sin, spiritual separation, or ineffectiveness in your own life?
- How can the battle against lust be won?
- Take every thought captive (2 Cor. 10:5)
- Find the way of escape (1 Cor. 10:13)
- Accountability is not optional!!
- Be alert and safeguard your life!! (1 Peter 5:8)
Its time to address even the areas of hidden sin in your life. Ask God to reveal areas of your life that you have been carried away by your own lusts and desires. Start fighting the battle, seek accountability, and resolve to overcome it once and for all so that the spirit of God is not quenched in your life. Let a leader know how they can pray for you, keep you accountable, or if you need some resources to help.