When ‘modesty’ is mentioned, how does that make you feel or what does it make you think? Do you think ‘more rules that limit my life?’ Do you get annoyed or frustrated because ‘it’s my body I can do what I want with it?’ Do you get annoyed because you think the Bible is clear about modesty and “christians” do not live modestly? But what if modesty wasn’t a set of rules to limit you but a principle of living to free you? What if it isn’t your body but Christ’s when he purchased you on the cross? What if judging others is not your job, but you are to instead live as an example to others? How do we live our lives like 1 Corinthians 6:18-20 says to “honor God with our body?”
- When ‘modesty’ is mentioned, how does that make you feel or what does it make you think?
- How do you struggle when others are immodest?
- In what ways do you struggle with your own modest speech? Behavior? Dress?
- How do you focus on clothing yourself in the presence of Jesus Christ? Is there any need for your focus to change or improve?
- After today, in your own words, what is modesty?
This week, focus first on seeking Christ and then ask yourself, do my actions, speech, and dress glorify God? Use that filter to eliminate things that don’t.